Brains

TV puppet character, wearing blue, glasses, blue shirt and black and polka dot blue bow tie,
Brains
Brains is a fictional character in the 1960-’s British Television series Thunderbirds. The intelligent engineer who designed the Thunderbirds machines. He also constructs a chess-playing robot.  I was first introduced to Brains as a child.

As mature student with the Open University, during the late 80's, I needed an identity for my work, Brains, my inspiration.  Not wanting to let on I was a girl in a male dominated world of Technology.  Brains was a geeky handle used between digital games, mostly chess, tinkering at computer programming, and some other stuff called 'serious study'!


Using the handle Brains, my personal avatar has evolved naturally, and so became ubiquitous across my digital world.   As a student and even for a while after, I wore spectacles that were blue. It took years for my boffin  friends to connect the two :-)

I saw many comparisons with Brains, like him I see Tech as the future. As an international technology student, working from a small remote Greek Island, where the rents were cheaper than Oxford or Cambridge. I strongly agreed with the fictional professor that "Distance is, no object to learning",  even saying so as a strap line on my digital accounts for many years, these days we call it mobile working. 

Brains, regularly dialled into the Open University servers, using a round faced telephone, followed by a lot of noise, crackling from island wind on the overhead lines.  My computer system was held together with bits of bare wire, with tin foil and clothes pegs, it could't cope with graphics!   Yet it was possible to  learn about them.  Digital art later becoming a bit of a doodle pastime.   So as an early adopter of the Internet - my digital selfie has evolved naturally and changed a bit over the years. 

Can you see the resemblance? 
Brains, Lisa Emms whearing blue glasses, same as Brains, Cartoon of Lisa, and professional image of Lisa whirring glasses
Brains Development








No comments:

Post a Comment

LisaEmms: Striving to be sporty cyclist. Loves IKEA sofa & bacon sandwiches, a bit too much. Incurable student. Tech Geek & more.

Feel free to challenge me, disagree with me, or tell me I’m completely nuts, I reserve all rights to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever (abusive, profane, rude, or anonymous comments)